Sunday, August 15, 2010

To Jon

This article is for a good friend, Jon Edwin Leatherbarrow
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last Friday a good friend and colleague of mine in UCD passed away.  I still remember the shock feeling when I saw the email.  Even now I still cannot believe this kind of thing did happen.

He was a very nice person who was always friendly to me.  We started our Ph.D. program at about the same year.  At the time, everything was new to me.  He was always willing to provide his assistance to help me get used to this environment soon.  Even I had a poor English speaking, he was never inpatient to listen to my words.



In the lab, we belonged to the same research group.  I was fortunate to have my bench next to his in the lab.  We had a lot of time to talk to each other when we worked in the lab.  We talked about many things, from complaining our research projects (laugh~) to the songs we love.  We had a lot of good time talking.

In the last years, I had several opportunities to give talks in the conferences or meetings with regulatory agencies.  To be prepared, I always tried to give a practice talk in the department before I went.  Sometimes, maybe because everyone was busy, not too many people would attend.  But, Jon, he was always there, to give me many good comments and suggestions.  I think it's partly because he had many work experiences in consultants or government agencies.  I did learn a lot from him.

I still remember he was so happy when he just knew his girlfriend.  He told me she is such a nice person.  After they started dating, sometimes, they have to leave each other for a period of time due to their works.  I remember in the lab, he told me he just missed her so much.  But he thought it was also good in some ways since then he can focus on his work to have it done.  (laugh~)  I was really happy for him at that time because a good gentleman finally found a perfectly wonderful girl.

Time goes by.  So many memories in my mind at this moment.  I never ever expect that just suddenly I lost this good friend.  Maybe, I am just a very small part of your life.  But I still want to thank you, thank you to be always friendly and influential to me because now I realize that life is frail and everyone of us should cherish every single moments.

Jon, it's kind of ridiculous that everyone in our group get together again because of your memorial service.  On the trip back to Davis, we decided to choose another time to have a BBQ party.  Maybe that's what you help us to do even after you are not here anymore, to keep our relationship tight and friendship forever.

Someday I will leave Davis, maybe to another state or another country.  The thing I have been thinking about from long time ago is that at that moment I want to take a picture with everyone I know in Davis because I have so many good memories here.  But unfortunately, I will never have that picture with you.  I feel extremely sad every time I think about this.  But Jon, you will always be missed, even without that picture.  Thank you for being part of my life in the last few years.  The time is short, but it is my pleasure to have this opportunity to know you and have such a good person as a friend.

Sincerely,

Wei-Hsiang

No comments: