Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Quick update for my recent publication

During the first half of this year, I got an oppurtunity to work with another professor in our department. He and other authors would like to write a report (later was also submittd to the government for public policy decision), which discussed the water resource crisis in California due to the continuously increasing demand and global climate change. Since this report covered a huge range of various research areas, he and the other authors invited many people from different research backgrounds to prepare this report (to write several technical appendix from different views, so the authors can have discussions based on these technical conclusions). Anyway, he asked my boss to see if he can recommend anyone familiar with public health risks posed by disinfection byproduct formation. Then, BANG! I was in!

I have to say, that was a tough time working in this project. You only had six months to collect all of the information you needed, review a huge number of literatures, develop and test the models, contact the state and local agencies, and write and revise the report. All of these needed to be done in six months, and you only got a master student to help you (be honest, 她沒什麼用(這句話用中文,免得被相關人等看到), so bascially I worked alone in this project). I still remember when I was in TW for a short break (this trip was decided before I got thie project, so I couldn't cancel it), I brought all the papers with me when I traveled in the South TW with Selene and worked in the hotel every night, so sad~).

Anyway, now the project is done, and I just gave a talk regarding my appendix to the audience from the government in Sacramento last month. The report has been published in this summer, so if someone is interested in what I did during those six months or wants to know what will happen to your drinking water when sea level rises in the future, here are the links for the report and my chapter.

Comparing Futures for the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta,
published by Public Policy Institute of California (PPIC)
http://www.ppic.org/main/publication.asp?i=810

Delta Drinking Water Quality and Treatment Costs (55 pages), by Wei-Hsiang Chen, kristine Haunschild, and Jay R. Lund
http://www.ppic.org/content/pubs/other/708EHR_appendixH.pdf

(I'm pretty sure that none of my friends would really read through the report~)

Happy Holidays,

Will

No comments: